Friday, September 7, 2007

Pasta Rescue

So after the whole cat-food-spaghetti-sauce incident, I had this pound of cooked ziti sitting in my fridge, cold and lonely. I did not want to "cook" again, I "cook" once a week and make enough so that the leftovers last me about 5 days. All I had around was some garlic and frozen snow peas. This is what became of them:



















Garlicky Snowpea Ziti
Time: 15 minutes (25 if making fresh pasta)
Tools: garlic press, big pan

1 lb cooked and cooled ziti (or any chunky pasta)
1 bag (probably 12-16 oz) frozen snowpeas, broccoli or whatever is hiding in your freezer
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or more if, like me, you enjoy pain)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated parmesan
Salt and Pepper

Heat oil in pan over med-low, add pressed garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 2 minutes. Turn heat up to med and add frozen veggies and sautee until crisp, usually around 5 minutes. Add pasta*, season with salt and pepper sparingly and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes, then mix in parmesan. The parmesan seasons like salt, and the red pepper seasons like pepper, so go easy on the real stuff!

Quick, and really fucking good too.

*If you boil the pasta fresh, just drain well and add to the pan, turn off the heat and mix with other ingredients.

No comments: